Glen Lake Sanitarium, Minnetonka, Minnesota, 1940s Print
Very nice historic view of the Glen Lake Sanitarium in Minnetonka, Minnesota, from the 1940s
Glen Lake Sanatorium, a tuberculosis treatment center serving Hennepin County in Minnesota, opened on January 4, 1916, with a capacity of 50 patients, and closed in 1976. In 1909, the Minnesota State Legislature had passed a bill authorizing the appointment of county sanatorium boards and appropriating money for the construction of county sanatoriums. Glen Lake Sanatorium was the fifth of fourteen county sanatoria that opened in Minnesota between 1912 and 1918. Glen Lake was the first U.S. tuberculosis sanitarium to be accredited by the American Medical Association. The sanatorium had its own post office, and the mailing address was Glen Lake Sanatorium, Oak Terrace, Minnesota, until the surrounding area was incorporated into the City of Minnetonka.
Image courtesy of Lakesnwoods.com.