Great Northern Depot at Sandstone, Minnesota, 1920s Postcard Reproduction
Great historic view of the Great Northern Railroad depot in Sandstone, Minnesota, from the 1920s. The Sandstone station of Sandstone, Minnesota was built in 1895 and served the Great Northern Railway and successor Burlington Northern until 1971. Passenger service ceased upon the formation of Amtrak, but resumed between Minneapolis and Superior in 1975. Sandstone was served by the Arrowhead and later the North Star between Chicago and Duluth. Service ceased after April 7, 1985. The depot still exists, but has been relocated from the tracks.
Sandstone known as the "First City of the North Woods" is located in Pine County, Minnesota, along the Kettle River. The population was 2,849 at the 2010 census. Interstate 35 and Minnesota State Highways 18 and 23 are three of the main routes in the community. Banning State Park is nearby.
A bit of history, fantastic for dropping friends or family a note the old-fashioned way, and makes a great gift! This is a reproduction of the original 1960s postcard. Postcard image from LakesnWoods.com.
4" x 6" postcards