Spaulding Hotel, Duluth, Minnesota, 1910s Print
Very nice view of the Spaulding Hotel in Duluth, Minnesota, from the 1910s.
The Spalding Hotel was built in 1889 on the corner of 5th Avenue West and Superior Street and was considered one of Duluth’s finest hotels. Construction was financed through the Spalding House Company (incorporated 1887) whose directors included William W. Spalding, Andreas M. Miller, Fred W. McKinney, and L. Mendenhall.
The hotel, designed by J.J. Egan of Chicago, had over 200 rooms and was eight stories high. The Spalding was bought by the J.L. Washburn estate in 1905 and sold to the Duluth Housing and Redevelopment Authority in 1963 to be demolished.